9.2.15

He must increase

 whimsicaljane on flickr 
John 3:30- He must increase, but I must decrease.

I believe that John 3:30 is one of the most life-changing verses for us Christians. It's a principle that we must live by if we ever hope to become the one that God would have us to be. God must increase in our lives, and for that to happen we must decrease. 

Until we completely die to self we can not fully live for Christ.

  It is human nature for us to put ourselves first. In almost every situation we will try to do what is in our best interest. We are constantly absorbed with ourselves and what we can get out of life. We often look at everything with our eyes focused on us. The truth is, life isn't about us but about the one who created us. When we try to live for ourselves we are interfering with the work God could be doing in our lives if we gave him full control. 
As Christians we must be willing to put God first, others second, and ourselves last. 
Galatians 2:20- I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. We are not our own. If you are saved, you are a child of the King. You belong to God. I believe that the reason so many struggle in the Christian life is because they are constantly in a battle over who will have rule over their lives-God or themselves. A life ruled by itself will always lead to destruction. We need to live a life guided and directed by God. 

 When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims for our affection, the demands on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities. - Ezra Taft Benson

In the world today almost everyone is talking about how we must have more "self-esteem" and telling us to "love yourself." John 3:30 doesn't say we should love ourselves and lift ourselves up. It says we need to decrease.  I'm not saying we should go around talking about how terrible we are. I believe that God has made each of us unique and special. But God was the one who made you that way. God is the one who needs to increase. As humans we are weak and we fail. We cannot direct our own lives without it crumbling down all around us. We must be willing to step out of the way and give God full control. 
  We must strive to live a life of Humility. Humility isn't thinking less of yourself- it's thinking of yourself less. It's putting others before yourself- putting God before yourself. In order for God to have control in our life we must humble ourselves before Him. We can't serve Him the way He wants us to if we are proud and focused on ourselves.  
James 4:10 - Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up
 Are you willing to not serve yourself and your wants to pursue after God and His will for your life? We must be willing to humble ourselves before our God and let Him increase in our lives. 
Are you willing to live a life based on John 3:30?  We must be willing to die to self, and to put God first.




Keep shining bright
~Brittney 

Brittney Johnson is just your average (and crazy) teenage girl serving an extraordinary God. She loves reading amazing books, writing stories, and dreaming about someday publishing a book. She loves to blog and would be so glad if you read her posts, comment, and maybe even follow

7 comments:

  1. i always look forward to your posts, because your posts are always so truthful and make me check my Christian amazing post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait that was a serious typo. I meant Christian LIFE :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Brittany. I am happy that you are the kind of young lady that can dig this out of your personal relationship with God and be an encouragement to others. God bless! -Hannah Carter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE reading your post! It is truly amazing!!! WONDERFUL blog! Can't wait to read more and so glad that I follow!!

    maddysdigitaldiary.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with this a lot...I can be really selfish sometimes, without even realizing it.
    Thanks for this encouraging post :)
    -Lauren <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! So encouraging! Please check out my blog and follow it by email! I hope you will leave a comment, too!!! God bless you!
    Love,
    Ashley
    creatingpreciousmoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. there is a church in West Virginia called I heart church, you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Pleas keep all comments pleasing to the Lord!