28.4.15

Human love vs. God's love

 It is strange how often a heart must be broken before the years can make it wise. ~ Sara Teasdale
1 John 4:7-11 - Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.  Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

What is love? What does it really mean? The world will say that love is a feeling; that it is a passing emotion.The Bible says that love is not a passing emotion but that it is a constant devotion. Love is determined by how we treat others who have nothing to give us back. True love is putting someone else before our-self. The prime example of that kind of love is not seen in feel-good Hollywood movies but in the old pages of the Bible. The prime example is that Christ died for us. As humans, we love to be loved. We give to receive; but God gave his only Son and received nothing. He loved the unlovable and forgave the unforgivable. Are you loving others with human love or are you loving them with God's love?

The difference between human love and God's love:

Human love says, "I'll love you as long as you love me." God's love says, "I'll love you no matter what."

Human love says, "I want something in return." God's love says, "My love is a free gift to you."

Human love says, "Be there for me." God's love says, "I'll be there for you."

Human love says, "Don't hurt me." God's love says, "I died for you."

Human love says, "I will love you only if you're attractive." God's love says, "I created you; you are fearfully and wonderfully made."

Human love says, "I'll love you as long as you make me happy," God's love says, "Even when you deny me I will love you."

God's love is perfect. It is unconditional // Human love is self-centered. It fades away.

   If you are a Christian you have the power to love the way God loves. We can reflect the love God has shown us to the others around us. God is love. 1 John 4:8 - He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. The thing that Hollywood shows you today isn't really love. It's lust, and it will fade away with time. Some say love fades and that's why friendships, relationships, and marriages fall apart. The truth is human love does fade; but God's love is everlasting. If we love the way God loved us then that love will last forever. Are you showing others the right kind of love? Are you loving them conditionally or unconditionally? Love is not based on if the other person loves you back or not. It's based on you. God says to love your enemies. You might say that's crazy and that it would be cruel for God to ask us to do such a thing. The truth is when Jesus died for us he died for his enemies. He died for the very soldiers who pierced him and hung him to die on the cross.
If you're a Christian you have the ability to let God's love flow from you to others. Are you loving them as God would love them? Or are you only loving them with human love?

love is based on actions // not just feelings 

1John 4:7 - Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.   



Keep shining bright
~Brittney

Brittney Johnson is just your average (and crazy) teenage girl serving an extraordinary God. She loves reading amazing books, writing stories, and dreaming about someday publishing a book. She loves to blog and would be so glad if you read her posts, comment, and maybe even follow

4 comments:

  1. Lovely and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a mother's love, though? If I've learned anything from my parents (biological), it's that they will love me no matter how moody I get, how I treat them (sometimes I slip up), even if I'm less grateful than I should be. For a lot of relationships, it is true, love fades, becomes jealous and self-centered... but not all the time. I can guarantee that some love does last a lifetime. So while this post is mostly true, I don't think ALL human love is self-centered and shallow. It's entirely possible to love people for who they are unconditionally, don't you think?

    Now you say it's only possible to love like God if you are a Christian. I do not consider myself Christian, but I love everyone deeply... not their choices, but them. Am I lying? That because I do not worship only Christ, only people who do are capable of unconditional love? What if an atheist sacrificed himself for his country, does that make him any less loving than a Christian who did the same thing, only under the name of God?

    How is that right, just, fair?

    It's not.

    I'm not attacking you or anything like that, I'm just a genuinely curious girl trying to learn more about the Bible and how different people from different walks of life view different things. Definitely a thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes; you're right in saying that people that aren't saved can show true and lasting love. Because God created all of us in His image and since he is love - all of us have the ability to show that love. But naturally we tend to be selfish and self-centered. A mother's love is a beautiful thing and that comes from God, but on our own our love will always be insufficient. You're right- Christians are not the only ones that love like God loves. To be honest there are probably a lot of lost people out there that show their love more than some Christians. But Christians have accepted and received that love more than anyone else. A saved person has received God's selfless gift of salvation. Once we realize how much God loves everyone it makes us love them more than we could on our own. It gives us a new outlook. Christ displayed the ultimate illustration of love. He literally gave himself for us. And it's so humbling to think of that. It makes me want to love like that. When I say I want to love like God and not like an average human I'm saying that I want to display God's example of love. God is the created of love and I honestly believe that none of us could fully love like God does because he is perfect. We'll always make mistakes but I'm glad I serve a God that loves every single one of us no matter how many times we fail Him.

      Delete

Pleas keep all comments pleasing to the Lord!